Saturday, February 13, 2010

Getting Taxpayers to Foot the Bill "Is Easier Than Ever"

Income tax time is on its way, with the inevitable question for about 60% of the U.S. adult population, "What are they doing with my money?" (The other 40% pay zero federal income taxes.)

From Libertyblog:
Self-reliance narrowly averted:
A decade ago, New York City officials were so reluctant to give out food stamps, they made people register one day and return the next just to get an application. The welfare commissioner said the program caused dependency and the poor were “better off” without it.
Now the city urges the needy to seek aid (in languages from Albanian to Yiddish). Neighborhood groups recruit clients at churches and grocery stores, with materials that all but proclaim a civic duty to apply — to “help New York farmers, grocers, and businesses.” There is even a program on Rikers Island to enroll inmates leaving the jail.
“Applying for food stamps is easier than ever,” city posters say.
Juan Diego Castro, 24, is a college graduate and Americorps volunteer whose immigrant parents warned him “not to be a burden on this country.” He has a monthly stipend of about $2,500 and initially thought food stamps should go to needier people, like the tenants he organizes. “My concern was if I’m taking food stamps and I have a job, is it morally correct?” he said.
But federal law eases eligibility for Americorps members, and a food bank worker urged him and fellow volunteers to apply, arguing that there was enough aid to go around and that use would demonstrate continuing need. “That meeting definitely turned us around,” Mr. Castro said.
Thank heavens he followed Obambi and Twofer’s advice to avoid the dreaded private sector and not his parents’ warning. Otherwise, taxpayers wouldn’t have the privilege of paying both his “stipend” and his food bills.
There's always "enough aid to go around," until there isn't:


And here are the foreign countries making sure that there's "enough aid to go around," until they don't:

Reality check: The top 5 foreign providers of loans to pay for all those "continuing demonstrations of need" are Mainland China, Japan, the UK, Oil Exporting Countries, and Caribbean Banking Centers.

Those lenders are going to want to keep getting their interest payments on all that money--and whose supposed to pay those payments? Surely not the lenders themselves. And surely not the people on food stamps. Must be all those "farmers, grocers, and businesses" who can't quite keep their doors open unless their customers use food stamps. Plus the government workers who won't have jobs unless there's a food stamp or other entitlement program to work for.

Something doesn't add up.

No comments:

Post a Comment