Saturday, July 24, 2010

Trashing Conservatives With Their Own Money

Congratulations to Stilton Jarlsberg for the increasing popularity of his perceptive conservative cartoons, like this one:


Sarah Spitz, author of that unfortunately real-life comment, works for KCRW, a public radio station in Santa Monica, California, as a producer and publicist. KCRW is an NPR affiliate that receives taxpayer money. Her show, Left Right & Center, airs across the country on almost 40 NPR affiliates. She also produces a show called The Politics of Culture.

After reading Spitz's comment, it is hard to imagine that her influence as producer of Left Right & Center would support much "Right & Center" content.

At the time that Spitz wrote her comment, she added, "I never knew I had this much hate in me. But he deserves it." 

Now that Spitz's "private comments" have attracted the attention of a wider audience than the 400 plus members of online forum JournoList, where they were first published, KCRW has expressed "regret" to NPR for those comments, and Spitz herself has offered a statement of "apology" for her "poorly considered remarks about Rush Limbaugh to what I believed was a private email discussion group from my personal email account."

As a publicist, I realize more than anyone that is no excuse for irresponsible behavior. I apologize to anyone I may have offended and I regret these comments greatly; they do not reflect the values by which I conduct my life.

That's a pretty lame apology, in my book. Where is the apology to Rush Limbaugh, who, after all might reasonably be assumed to be counted among those "may have been offended"?

I find it interesting that neither KCRW and Sarah Spitz have indicated that Spitz's remarks were so "poorly considered" that they disqualify her from being paid using public funds. Maybe they think that the broader publication of those remarks are pretty good publicity for NPR and KCRW.

As long as Spitz stays on the payroll, it is obvious that Rush Limbaugh haters are welcome in the public-radio fold. Trashing conservatives with their own money is just icing on the cake.

__________

3 comments:

  1. I guess the left and Islam has more in common than we thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KCRW's listeners are mostly people who feel the same as Sarah Spitz. The 'apology' is probably just a lead in to another of their fund drives. People are not usually truly sorry for behavior that makes then more likely to hold their job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What if it had been Limbaugh who made that comment about Spitz? Wouldn't the left be screaming for him to be fired?

    ReplyDelete