Sunday, April 25, 2010

Be Thou My Vision

An ancient and beloved Gaelic hymn, with the melody attributed to Saint Patrick. The original old Irish lyrics date back at least to the 6th century. Here it is in Gaelic and English, with lyrics below. The worshiper calls on the Lord of her heart to be her eyes, wisdom, sword, and shelter.

Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart,
all else but naught to me, save that thou art;
thou my best thought by the day by night,
waking and sleeping, thy presence my light.
Be thou my wisdom, and thou my true word,
thou ever with me, and I with thee Lord;
thou my great Father, and I thy true son;
thou in me dwelling, and I with thee one.
Be thou my breastplate, sword for the fight;
thou my whole armor, thou my true might;
thou my soul's shelter, my strong tower:
raise thou me heavenward, great Power of my power.
Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise:
thou mine inheritance now and always;
thou and thou only first in my heart;
Sovereign of heaven, my treasure thou art.
High King of heaven, thou heaven's bright sun,
grant me its joys after victory is won;
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
still be my vision, O Ruler of all.

1 comment: