Friday, April 30, 2010

Don't You Dare Ask For My ID, But You Are Welcome to My Body Parts

Of all the creepy, nightmare, sci-fi scenarios that liberal lunacy is assaulting us with, I think New York's assumption that American citizens don't even own our own bodies is the topper.

Here in New York, we are so thoroughly considered the property of the state that, when we die, our lawmakers plan on having the state move in and harvest our organs, no questions asked. Die in New York State, and your heart, lungs, eyes, and liver go to the highest bidder, the state, nobody's saying.

What could go wrong? Especially in the age of death panels, world demand for transplant organs and the enormous profits to be made by selling organs, not to mention the inevitable desire to get an organ while it's nice and fresh, maybe from a body that's still warm (not quite dead, perhaps). Who's watching, anyway? After all, it can't happen here.

Oh, I'm telling you, my dear, that it can't happen here.

Don't be nervous about going into a hospital for that risky surgery. If you are viewed as as prospective donor, you don't need to worry about how hard a medical team will work to save you if they (or the government) perceive a greater benefit to harvesting the organs. Nah. They'll return you with all your parts. You can always trust the state.

But don't you find it just a tad interesting that a group of New York's lowly state assemblymen and assemblywomen are so confident of the state's ownership of us that they have no problem blithely informing us that they (reluctantly) will approve of individuals owning their own body parts (for now), only if individuals petition the state, in writing, for ownership of their own body parts. That's for those of us who are in a good situation to write, of course. In enlightened, ultra-charitable New York State, there are no poor, disabled, illiterate, or sick people (or even non-English speakers) who could be taken advantage of -- or, let us say --who could "fall through the cracks." No. Uh, uh. Not here. It can't happen here (here, maybe).

I mean, some politician wouldn't dream of confiscating your organs for one of his family members. Nah. Well, maybe the guy who dreamed up New York's latest "New York wants your heart" legislation because he had a hard time finding new kidneys for his daughter and didn't want to wait for "an act of God" to provide her with organ donors.

Under current New York State law, if I want to donate my organs and tissues to someone after I die, all I have to do is check a box on my drivers license renewal form (or license application), and my license will be mailed to me clearly emblazoned with the words "ORGAN DONOR." All legal and set to go.

But that's not good enough. Or convenient enough.

I keep saying it, and I'll say it again:  The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Cross posted at Potluck.
__________

No comments:

Post a Comment