Friday, February 11, 2011

After Mubarak: What Egyptians Will Vote For

Egyptian men celebrate success of revolt against Hosni Mubarak on 2/11/11
From a poll conducted last year by the Pew Research Center come estimated percentages of adult Egyptians favoring specific changes in Egypt's civil policies and law  (via Investors Business Daily). What the average Egyptian wants is not what the "feel-good" MSM would have you believe.

What Egyptians said they want:
• A much larger role in politics for Islam — 95%
• Death penalty for people who leave the Muslim faith — 84%

• Stoning of [female] adulterers — 82%

• Cutting off the hands of thieves — 77%
• Segregating women from men in the workplace— 54%

The following sympathies also will be influencing Egyptian voters:
• 82% of Egyptians dislike the U.S. — the highest unfavorable rating among the 18 Muslim nations Pew surveyed.
• 54% believe suicide bombings that kill civilians can be justified.

• Nearly half support the terrorist group Hamas.

• 30% have a favorable opinion of Hezbollah.

• 20% maintain positive views of al-Qaida and Osama bin Laden.

According to the IPD:
This empirical evidence refutes the sympathetic narrative broadcast as a continuous loop in the media over the past fortnight. Even after getting beat up by anti-American mobs, CNN's Anderson Cooper portrayed rioters as largely secular yuppies yearning for modernity and the triumph of human rights over martial law.

He and other media elite have it exactly backwards: Egyptians are revolting against Western-style democracy. The Pew poll reveals they do not, in fact, value our principles of individual freedoms, human rights and separation of religion and state.

It is plain they do not want what we want. They want an Islamic theocracy.
__________

13 comments:

  1. Shared to the A-C page. Even Fox News is towing the "freedom wins in Egypt" line - and not just Shep either, I saw it on Megyn Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. exactly what Hussein O wanted!..God help us!

    HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all very confusing, because this is EXACTLY the opposite of what I'm hearing from an Egyptian friend in Cairo who is Coptic, secular, anti-Islam, and participated in the protests along with her brother and other Egyptian dissidents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Woman - O's actions have made his intentions all too clear. 2012. Have a great weekend too. It'll be warming up!

    @sweater - It is confusing, very. I'm guessing that Egyptians are bringing their individual hopes and dreams to the table, much like Americans did for the 2008 election. A great many Americans allowed themselves to be carried away on the wave of hopeful enthusiasm that Obama's election would bring them the changes they individually wanted and imagined, not the change that they realistically could expect, considering the circumstances.

    What we don't know is what is going on behind the scenes among the power brokers. We can assume that the Egyptian powers-that-be will avoid as far as possible any changes to the status quo that threaten their power and wealth. They probably will just morph.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, I just posted this, too. Great minds! I had planned on doing it at naptime, but it was such a feat getting her to sleep this afternoon that I ended up passing out, too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @pjMom - A toddler's nap is the glue that holds the mother together, or so I've been told. Never mentioned it, but my daughter was the sleepless type, too. Life was just too delicious for her to "waste" on sleep! The trick to getting her to fall sleep, I found, was to get her to hold all her muscles still all at once. When she did that, she would drop off to sleep in seconds. Too late for me, I was told that sleeping is a learned skill. You might want to look into that!

    I just spotted a great post incorporating the same poll data (and more) at Hyphenated American. Check it out if you can--it's a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We would do well not to forget that islam is part and parcel of the muslim world. And the history and culture of islam is religious theocracy.

    They are not people who have a history of free thought or expression, instead their history is one of force, savagery and barbarity.

    So like you said, chances are an extremist theocracy is what we'll get.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @QR, naptime is my sanity. We've had some sleep woes of late, but nothing new for us. Same song, different verse. It is a learned skill, especially the ability to go to sleep on her own. We survived night-weaning, and we'll survive the rest of it, too. I've read every sleep book I can get my hands on. Some help. Some don't. She's doing better at night (thankfully!) though I am usually summoned between 0300 and 0500. The latter is becoming more frequent--I can live with getting up that early if necessary. She just loves to cuddle. We'd keep her in our bed if not for her amazing ability to cartwheel in place thereby kicking us both in the head. ; )

    Thanks for the link--have it open in a new tab already.

    ReplyDelete
  9. p.s. I like the holding still idea. We just got a "tot clock" that turns blue when it's time to sleep and back to yellow when it's time to get up. It hasn't worked a miracle, but it has made getting to bed easier. When she starts calling for me in the early morning I ask what color it is... usually to no avail because I get the "I'm cold, I need to cuddle, please come cuddle" response. ; ) I should be thankful she is such a cuddlebug. I know I will miss it when she's older.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh. Dangerous for me to find a new blog this late at night. I love Hypenated-American. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm just waiting for that 7-year peace treaty to be drawn up ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It will become a country of covered women and naked goats ... musloons, I just can't figure them out, so I'll continue not to trust any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @MK - It's a changing of the guard, not of the system.

    @pjMom - One "Cuddle me, Mom" wipes out 100 near-concussions from toddler cartwheels in bed. :) Other topic: Yes, Hyphenated American knows the score.

    @Just Me: Indeed.

    @Odie - As long as those goats don't feel like second-class citizens, the MSM will be satisfied.

    ReplyDelete